domingo, 25 de dezembro de 2011

The Gentlemen drinks


In the first of an ongoing series on cocktails I'm going to walk you through some of the basics of mixology starting with my favourite spirit; gin.

* Why start on gin.
* Which gins to use.
* Gin and Tonic.
* Martini.
* Tom Collins.

Gin is my favourite for two reasons:

First is specific to me - I like the taste and (unlike whiskey, vodka and tequila) I can drink a fair amount of it without getting messed up and out of control.

I'm the same with white wine. From colloquial evidence it seems that most people have certain drinks that they can handle better than others so it's worth finding out which suit you the best.

From time to time I may have alternatives, but if I want to drink while being certain I won't make a fool of myself (crucial at occasions like weddings) then I stick to what I know I can handle.

The second reason I'm starting with gin is that it's often considered the most basic spirit for use in cocktails. It's so ubiquitous that a bar without gin is not a properly stocked bar.

Your two most reliable options for high-quality gin are Bombay Sapphire and Tanqueray No. Ten.

Personally I go for the Bombay Sapphire because it's got gorgeous botanicals (the extra flavours such as juniper and almonds)) and the bottle is really pretty. I know, I know, very superficial but cocktails are meant to be a bit of fun.

Some bars have taken to storing their gin (and vodka) in the fridge or even the freezer but I would advise against this unless you want to get smashed (no, you don't). You see, room temperature spirits melt the ice slightly, and that extra water improves the taste as well as diluting the alcohol a little. Cocktails are supposed to be pleasant to drink, not eye-watering.

A wiser man than me once told me the fundamental difference between cocktails for men and cocktails for women. Women's cocktails try to disguise the alcohol in them with bright colours, fruit juices and sugar. Men's cocktails look and taste like they contain alcohol. That means it's time to grow up and step away from the Mai Tais, Daquiris and Seabreezes. While we're at it, Rum and Coke is boring, ditto the Screwdriver, and Long Island Iced Tea is what students who're trying to be sophisticated drink (I speak from firsthand experience).

Needless to say, if it has a 'comedy' name like Sex on the Beach or Harvey Wallbanger then it's not a gentleman's choice either.

So let's start with an easy one, the Gin&Tonic. Popularised during the days of the British Raj in India because the tonic water contains quinine, which helps repel mosquitoes. It says something about Britain which makes me quite proud that rather than develop some sort of way to vaporise quinine they instead put it into a cocktail.

Anyway, it's a piece of cake to make and guests are likely to be forgiving if you play it fast and loose with your measures. Really a standard that you should know how to prepare:
* Put a few ice cubes into a high ball glass.
* Pour 1,25 ml shot of gin over the ice (add more if you like it stronger).
* Top up with tonic water.
* Garnish with a wedge of lime (or lemon if you must).

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário